Thursday, October 3, 2013

Long Way Down: Complete TV Series



A Second Great Trip!
As I knew I would, I liked this extended version of LWD better than the shorter one. As many of the reviewers have said, the very tight schedule they had to follow towards the beginning of the trip diminished the enjoyability of it a little, but not enough to dampen my overall enthusiasm for the series. I followed their voyage as they were making it through the BBC website, which was fantastic! Seeing this just made me feel like I was on the trip with Ewan and Charlie. I enjoyed LWD just as much as LWR, but for different reasons. They were more of a cohesive team in this one, even though there was some tension.

In that vein, the addition of Eve into the trip was a major contributor to that tension. I'm a woman, so rest assured this doesn't stem from a "boy's own" attitude. I just thought that Eve should not have inserted herself into the trip. She put Ewan in a very tough position, because you HAVE to support your wife publicly. That's just the way it works. So,...

Terrific and Eye Opening
I watched "Long Way Round" but enjoyed this one even more. The footage of travel through Africa is beautifully done and I give high praise to Claudio and the other photographers. You can tell that Ewan and Charley are truly moved by their surroundings and the wonderful African people. They really didn't want to stop this journey. In this film you will see Roman ruins,Victoria Falls, Ugandan gorillas, hippos, elephants, and many more African animals. After watching this film, you will want to travel to Africa and also donate to Unicef. It will make you happy and have you grinning from ear to ear. I recommend it highly.

Good, but not as good as the last
I think by Ewan's own comments `this trip was rushed'. Although it brings together the same crew as the much better 'Wrong way round' series the experience is lessoned by the constant need to get from John O Groats (most Northern point of mainland UK) to Cape Town within the three months allowed due to Ewan's movie commitments. The strain this puts on the group is great to watch if you enjoy `group dynamics' but a little annoying when all you really want to see is the countries and the people.
However it does have its moments, the ruins in Libya are an amazing undiscovered wonder of the world and always the chance encounters unplanned but captured brilliantly by having those always present cameras. The series relaxes and improves as they travel further.
There is nothing unique in what they are doing, but their openness and willingness to explore and accept what they see and learn is refreshing as a reminder to those of us who have travelled in a similar way.
All in all...

Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment