Friday, October 4, 2013

The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour: The Best of Season 3



Season 3 is the first of The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour dvd sets!
As everyone is asking, "Where are The Best of The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour Seasons 1 and 2?" I spoke directly to a Smothers Brothers rep and here's what I found out. There have been delays in producing the best of The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour dvd sets due to reasons unknown. I would guess that the reasons have something to do with getting all the approvals needed by the numerous guests on the shows, that is the cause of delay. Even this Season 3 is a few weeks behind schedule.

When I asked about certain musical groups appearing on this Season 3, I was happily told that The Who will not be on Season 3, but will be appearing on Season 2, which is right now in the making! I was so happy to hear that they are currently working on Season 2! This Season 2 will contain the famous performance by The Who, when Keith Moon used too many explosives and blew out poor Pete Townsend's eardrum!

Even though all 3 Seasons are being released backwards, starting with...

better than nothing.....but not very good
Have waited so long for this to be released and what a disappointment!
How ironic that the Smothers Brothers who faught with censors are now censoring what they release to us! I'm glad they came out with this set. But most of the episodes were about 40 minutes. These are NOT the full episodes as aired. The booklet insert talks about the first David Steinberg sermonette - the controversial one. Then it's mentioned on one of the shows when Tommy apologizes for it....but it's not included here!! We are given the second, calmer sermonette entitled "Jonah"(which of course is good). On one of these episodes, the band comes out in the beginning of the show with the signs naming that night's guests. They list Leigh French and she only appears for about 2 minutes in a very quick comedy sketch. She's not listed in the menu of the disc as a guest for that show at all. Surely she was in more of that episode than that! They did leave her in one as the weather girl, so it can't be a...

I am loving this set... but, uncut??
I wasn't even born when this show was originally on CBS. But I have been a fan of the Smothers Brothers for a long time, starting back in 1988 when they had a short-lived revival of their variety show. Having just purchased this 4-disc set (the Amazon.com information incorrectly lists it as having 3 discs), I have to say that I am really enjoying the show.

However, I have to wonder about the claims of all 11 episodes being uncut. I have only watched the first disc so far and am already noticing what I think are some cuts from the original broadcast versions. It would appear that these episodes are taken from a "Best Of" series that Entertainment Television did back in 1992. Each episode (so far) has an introduction and epilogue by Tom and Dick Smothers. In one of the episodes there are scenes shown during the epilogue from the 'Daily News' segment that were not in the episode I just watched.

I also have to wonder about the run time for each episode. If you take...

Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment