Wednesday, October 2, 2013

The Starlost - The Complete Series



Yes, I Own The DVD Set And Watched It!!!!
Unlike most all the previous reviews, I have received my copy of The Starlost and am very impressed with the quality of the dvd. It's a 4 dvd set and contains all the 16 episodes that were filmed and finished. They have been remastered and have a good quality to them. If you've been used to watching these episodes on a grainy youtube video you will be pleasantly surprised on the quality. No, it's not like today's sci fi quality but for the early 70's it's fantastic. There are scenes I have watched on youtube but on dvd it's much clearer and you see everything. It's funny, this is the first time I have seen a clear picture of the show in color. In 1973 I was a kid and we didn't own a color tv then. If you are a fan it's a must have. Bless you VCI. If you'd like to know more about The Starlost check out this fan site at [...]
Now go out and buy it!

A personal cult object
I watched this show when it was originally produced, and was absolutely enthralled by it - for me it sat alongside Star Trek, Space 1999, UFO, &c. As the years went on I forgot about it, until about 15 years ago when I recalled the show (which nobody else seemed to remember), started a search and found the series, quite truncated, on VHS. While it's true that the acting is stiff and the series is not-so-special-effected (though not always, and generally fueled with good ideas) for me it held up and still contained a lot of the wonder from my original watching. With Walter Koenig, John Colicos, and Barry Morse appearing in various episodes it certainly holds its place as classic 70s sci-fi. I just pre-ordered, and I'm thrilled at the prospect of finally seeing the complete series!

At Last!! Another cult classic filnally comes to DVD!!!
At long last this forgotten cult scifi classic comes to dvd! Many who remember this show have panned it for being stiff, with wooden acting and cheap sfx. Most of the sfx was done with the croma key effect. You have to remember that this show was made in the early 70s, on a very tight budget. The show was also abandoned by it's creator. While the show has it's flaws, as most shows do, it also has a charm the can only be found in an early low budget tv production. Fans of Doctor Who will appreciate the low budget effects and storylines.
All in all, this dvd release has been a long time coming and I cannot wait for my set.
Have an open mind, and give the show a chance before bowing to the critics who will pan the show, you may be pleasantly surprised!
My rating is on the content which hopefully will be matched by a superb quality dvd release!

Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment